Monday, December 4, 2006

Final Preparations

Well, I pretty much got it all together yesterday with a 5 hour batch of errands. At this point, I think all I need to buy is crayons and diaper pins. I picked up prescriptions for medications I may need overseas, bought some gifts to bring along, and bought another cartfull at Babies R Us. Had a major stress reaction trying to figure out what bottles and nipples I wanted. I'm not at all worried about being a parent, in general, but there are some specific skills I had better learn quickly!

I also scoped out a car seat, which my father and his wife wanted to order.

Today was an office baby shower, thrown by the project team I'm on. Here is the invitation:


It's not often that guys get thrown baby showers but it was fun - standing around drinking beer and discussing parenting styles. I got some thoughtful gifts, and it now looks like I'll need to check bag now when I head home on Wednesday (thanks to the package of diapers I received).

I've been listening to my Vietnamese language CD's in the car but am not hopeful. My Western ears are not good at hearing the subtle but important tonal aspects of the pronunciation.